Monday, January 17, 2011

The SBS Test

currently starving right now.....arghhhhh....but i can't have any food until 6.00 pm....which is anothe one and half hours away....sheesh.....all because of the SBS test....

so what is the SBS test? SBS stands for Serial Blood Sugar....and the reason i have to take this test?
well on my last prenatal check-up on thursday Dr Fatimah gave me the results from my Glucose Tolerence Test...the one i had to take cause there's a history of diabetes in my family.... well unfortunately i'm considered borderline....there were 2 readings and my glusoce level when i was fasting was 5.1mmol/L still in the normal range...it was the reading from my other blood after taking the glucose test that was borderline... you see it was 7.9mmol/L and a normal person's level would be no more than 7.7mmol/L but still not considered diabetic because diabetic people would have a sugar level would be more than 11mmol/L...

anyway since i'm borderline my doc ordered the SBS test to determine whether i need insulin or not....sounds serious doesn't it.... well she told me to get the test after 3 days of dieting.... kurangkan your carbs and sugar and lests see if that helps...that's what she said.....

the SBS test starts with me having to fast from 12 am until 8 in the morning for my first blood test...the next test at 12 noon, the next at 6pm and the last at 10pm and i'mnot allowed any food 2 hours before each blood test.... since that's 4 blood test in one day and my having to rely on parents on getting me to the hosp i asked the doc if could do it somewhere else and she said i could do it at the nearest clinic....but then kat Bukit Mahkota ni mana ade clinic 24hours.....finally i remembered that my dad has a blood glucose monitoring system and asked the clinic if i could use that instead and the doc gave me the green light....yokatta ne...

Abah's blood glucose monitoring system

So yesterday my dad schooled me on how to use it and i thought that the biggest challenge would be pricking myself.... well it's not that bad.... tercucuk jari masa menjahit lg sakit.... but having to do it yourself sucks... kesian org2 yang ada diabetes yang kena cucuk insulin sendiri tu kan...cannot imagine what their lives must be like... after doing the test twice now i think that the hunger i'm facing right now is much2 worse than the pin prick...seriously...lapar....


 
After I pricked myself for the second time today

After the doc the doc gave me my results we did an ultrasound to determine the baby's due date since she said she might change it at the last check-up...well surprise surprise baby decided to gain 500g in 2 weeks... and is now around 2005g... right on scheldule..so she's not changing the due date... 8th of March... but doc has a hunch baby will be out by the end of February.... tak pe lah baby..come out when you're ready kay....

Nowadays i'm getting myself ready mentally...since i'll most probably have to go this without hubby by my side...since the parentals have told him to save his money and just come back after his graduation instead of after his presentation.... and then there's the thing about  my father not being around during chinese new year and on the 10th of March onwards.... so baby please come out when your grandfather is around...klu tak mommy nak cr sape nak tolong azankan you....hahaha...this is what happens when all your siblings are girls... but then again i guess it's not such a big prob...if it comes to that maybe i'll call up one of my cousins to do the job....

and that's all about it for now...ohh and congrats to nadiah on your baby boy!!!!

No comments: